Blog Archive – Nancy Watts

The Crowley Block by Nancy Watts - The Crowley Block at 311 W. Main was built in 1913. Daniel M. Crowley came to Lewistown early in the 1880s and established the Lewistown Livery Stable and also Crowley and Kemp’s Saloon next to the stable. “Crowley and Kemp have begun the erection of a first-class stable convenient of their saloon.” (Mineral Argus, Oct…
The Warr-Lane Building by Nancy Watts -   Warr-Lane building 309 W. Main (now Studio Milan; earlier it was Krings Riverside Floral) was built in 1913. Link and Haire were the architects. Gagnon and Co. of Billings was the contractor. In 1892, Austin Warr (1866-1917) helped to establish the Montana Hardware Co., married Helen Lehman in 1895, and worked at the Bank…
I.O.O.F & Knights of Pythias Building by Nancy Watts - The I.O.O.F. and the Knights of Pythias Building on the corner of Main Street and 1st Avenue South was built in 1914 by Piper Construction Co. It was designed by Wasmansdorff and Eastman. Two fraternal organizations, the Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias joined together to erect this building. “The two orders will, it…
The Imislund Building by Nancy Watts - The Imislund Building located at 508 W. Main was built in 1906 by the Tubb Bros. “Herbert P. Imislund was a prominent Lewistown businessman, city clerk and president of the Montana and Eastern Corporation, a large investment concern.” (Montana Historical and Architectural Survey by Ellen Sievert). In 1906, “Mr. and Mrs. Imislund, who have been…
McDonald and Charters Building by Nancy Watts - PHOTO CAPTION: The McDonald and Charters building (built in 1905) is in the center of the photo where it says “Lewistown Bakery”. The Building on the right is the First National Bank (earlier called the Judith Basin Bank-built in 1899). The third building in the group is the Imislund Building, built in 1906 (behind the light pole).…
The Lewistown Public Library by Nancy Watts - The Lewistown Public Library was built in 1905 by the Tubb Brothers (T.J. Tubb, architect). Using native sandstone, (the sandstone quarry was within a mile of Lewistown) it was built from a donation ($10,000) from Andrew Carnegie. The land was part of the Stafford Addition and bought from Mr. Stafford for $600. The library went…
Judith Basin Bank building by Nancy Watts - The Judith Basin Bank building at 502 W. Main (formerly the “Home Plate” and “Flaments”) was built in 1899 at the corner of Main Street and 5th Avenue North. “Bricklaying was commenced on the new bank building Monday. The new institution will be known as the Judith Basin Bank.” (Fergus Co. Argus, Jan. 25, 1899).…
The Stafford Building by Nancy Watts - The Stafford Building at 316 W. Main was built in 1891 by George M. Stafford. George Stafford started his harness and saddlery business in 1886 in Lewistown. He was the Fergus County Surveyor and owned many lots in Lewistown (The Stafford Addition). He was married to Allis Watson. His first building at that address burned…
Lewistown Drug Store by Nancy Watts -   The Lewistown Drug Store was located at 324 W. Main on the corner of Main and 4th Ave. North (H & R Block). It is one of the oldest buildings in Lewistown, being built in 1885. The ad for the drug store on Aug. 18, 1887 stated: “the only drug store in Judith Basin;…
The Mackey Building by Nancy Watts - The Mackey Building (Montana Tavern) at 202 W. Main was owned by Thomas A. Mackey and cost $20,000 and was built with bricks from the Lewistown Brick and Tile Co. “Plans are now being prepared by Wasmansdorff and Eastman for a two-story, 50 x90 business building at the corner of Second Avenue and Main Street.…
The Knerr-Tubb building (Wiers store) by Nancy Watts - The Knerr-Tubb building (Wiers store) at 112-116 W. Main was built in 1909 by Tubb Brothers. Thomas Tubb, Christian Knerr and Levi Knerr were the original owners of the Tubb-Knerr building. “The Knerr-Tubb Block is remembered by many as the Armory Hall, where for many years, Central Montana residents “tripped the light fantastic” at charity…
Lewistown Historical Preservation Commission Awards Ceremony - The Lewistown Historical Preservation Commission will have an awards ceremony at the Library (701 W. Main) on Friday, May 11th beginning at 6:30 p.m. Awards will be given to recognize special achievement and outstanding assistance to the preservation effort in the Lewistown area. The keynote speaker will be C.J. Bailey speaking about the Croatian Stone…
Lewistown Historical Preservation Commission Awards Ceremony - The Lewistown Historical Preservation Commission will have an awards ceremony at the Library (701 W. Main) on Friday, May 11th beginning at 6:30 p.m. Awards will be given to recognize special achievement and outstanding assistance to the preservation effort in the Lewistown area. The keynote speaker will be C.J. Bailey speaking about the Croatian Stone…
Historic Lewistown Downtown Parade - Parade on the north side of the 300 block on Main Street. The Power Mercantile building (302 W. Main) is on the far right. Some of the other buildings are still there today. Lewistown Public Library Photo #4541. For more historic photos: http://montanamemory.org/contributors/LewistownPublicLibrary
Central Montana Genealogy Workshop Oct 14 - In celebration of their 40th Anniversary, the Central Montana Genealogy Society will be holding a Local History Workshop in the Upstairs Meeting Room of the Library on Saturday, October 14 from 1-4 pm. Talk with genealogists, historians and our local history librarian about how to go about finding Central Montana information.  Records include death, marriage,…
Ferris Wheel on Lewistown Main Street - View of a Ferris wheel on Main Street, 400 block south side. The building on the left foreground was the Mint Bar on the corner of 4th Avenue South and Main Street (401 W. Main) with the tiny office of Dr. E.A. Long, Dentist next to it. The Mint Bar was replaced by the Gem…
Circus Parade - Lewistown circus parade on Main Street from 1st Avenue South.
Lewistown, Montana - Corner of Main Street and 4th Ave North
Elks Convention 1915 - Lewistown, Montana. View of the south side of the 400 block on Main Street. Elks Convention 1915. Lewistown Public Library photo #7191. For more historical photos go to: http://montanamemory.org/contributors/LewistownPublicLibrary
Historical photo Lewistown Big Springs Water Supply - Lewistown, Montana. Photo 5317 Lewistown Public Library. For more historical photos go to: http://montanamemory.org/contributors/LewistownPublicLibrary
Lewistown Historic Fire Department - Lewistown, Montana. Fire department in front of the old City Hall. Photo #487 Lewistown Public Library. For more historical photos go to: http://montanamemory.org/contributors/LewistownPublicLibrary
Judith Mountains Camp Kiwanis - Judith Mountains, near Lewistown, Montana. Photo #7924 Lewistown Public Library. For more historical photos go to: http://montanamemory.org/contributors/LewistownPublicLibrary
Lewistown Main Street Parade - Lewistown, Montana. Parade on Main Street at the corner of 5th Avenue South. The Lewistown Furniture co was replaced by the Bank-Electric Building in 1913. Photo 3084, Lewistown Public Library. For more historical photos go to: http://montanamemory.org/contributors/LewistownPublicLibrary Photo courtesy of Lewistown Public Library
Old Fergus High School - Lewistown, Montana. View from 5th Avenue looking up Water Street with the old Fergus County High School in the background. Photo#5359, Lewistown Public LIbrary. The Lewistown Public Library has put more historical photographs, historical books and documents on the Montana Memory Project at http://montanamemory.org/contributors/LewistownPublicLibrary.  
Historical image - Lewistown, Montana. Main Street buildings in the background are on the north side of the 300 block. Lewistown Public Library photo #357. The Lewistown Public Library has put more historical photographs, historical books and documents on the Montana Memory Project at http://montanamemory.org/contributors/LewistownPublicLibrary: Provided by Preservation Officer & Local History Librarian Nancy Watts
Historical image – South side of the 400 block - Lewistown, Montana. South side of the 400 block. Lewistown Public Library photo 535. For more historical photos go to http://montanamemory.org/contributors/LewistownPublicLibrary. Provided by Historian Nancy Watts
Historical image of 100 block of Main Street, Lewistown. Provided by historian Nancy Watts - Lewistown, Montana. View of Main Street on the south side of the 100 block. All of the buildings are still existing today. From left to right the buildings are: Green Block (111 W. Main built 1909); Hopkins Block (113-115 W. Main built 1909); Hopkins Bros Grocery (117 W. Main built in 1900); Building owned by…
A Wealth of History to be Found at the Library - The Lewistown Public Library provides many historical resources for your use.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. (Clicking "Accept" will remove this message for one year.) Read More

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below, then you are consenting to this practice.

Close