Lewistown Public Library’s Mission Statement:
“The Lewistown Public Library provides free and equal access to quality materials and services, which fulfill the educational, informational, cultural, and recreational needs of the entire community.”
2:05 PM Call to order — roll call – Regular meeting of the Library Board of Trustees was called to order by Tom Wojtowick, Chairperson. Members present: Tom Wojtowick, Mary Frieze, Cathy Moser, Blanche Chapman, and Commissioner Patty Turk; Director: KellyAnne Terry. Public: Marcia Gans. Excused: Marie Anderson, Ex-Officio
Appoint Recorder of Minutes: Marcia Gans
Reading of the Mission Statement: Patty Turk
Revisions to the Agenda:
Comments for the Good of the Library:
Disposition of Minutes:
- Blanche moved to accept the June 12, 2014 regular Board meeting minutes and Patty seconded. The motion passed unanimously.
- Regular Library Financials presented and discussed.
- Patty moved to accept the Claims paid for June, Mary seconded and the motion passed.
- Director’s Report accepted as presented and the report is attached.
- 2014-2015 budget allocations from the City of Lewistown passed by City Commission on July 7, 2014.
- Literary Landscapes a success, Montana Preservation Road Show to use format in future events.
- Summer Reading Program – 370 kids and 160 adults signed up (a great response from the adults!)
- KellyAnne is pursuing grants from the Montana State Preservation Office for the windows and also a specialty grant for a project Dan is spearheading from an idea he picked up at the ALA conference in June.
- Awarded a grant by CMF for an Early Literacy Digital Station – Board invited to view after meeting
- Humanities Speaker on October 23 – Ellen Baumler will be discussion Haunted Montana
- Friends of the Library:
- Marie Anderson absent, KellyAnne reported
- July 4 Book Sale brought in more than $1000.00
- Ky Didier – The Janitor for the City of Lewistown may be able to paint the Book Station and the Friends could reimburse those hours to the City.
- Landscaping at the Library – Master Gardeners would like to give up their role in this starting in 2015. KellyAnne will be talking to the Friends about suggestions for a replacement caretaker of the landscaping.
- Miscommunication with Cowboy Poetry and the Friends of the Library on the Friends having an August 16, 2014 book sale. KellyAnne will talk to Marie and see if the Friends want to put one together or not – Cowboy Poetry is providing a shuttle from the Yogo to the Book Station if the sale is open
- Commissioner’s Report:
- Patty Turk reported on the City Commissioner’s meeting held July 7
- Sold an old fire truck
- Approved Library Budget
Discussion with the Public
- Discussion of Budget 2014/2015 – some changes because KellyAnne received grant money from CMF for an Early Literacy Digital Station and a different allocation of water fund money
- Election of Officers – Tom and Mary agreed to serve another term as Board Chairperson and Board Vice Chairperson respectively. There were no other nominations. Blanche moved and Patty seconded to approve the slate of officers. Pass unanimously
- Upstairs Windows – KellyAnne has a bid from Marvin Windows for $28,000 for windows excluding installation. She has had a hard time finding a contractor to install the windows but is currently in discussion with Bill Haugen about installation. There is no bid at this time. Discussion ensued about selling the old windows once they are removed.
- Upcoming Events
- August 21, 2014 – Suffragette Panel Display Reception and Pie Social
- October 23, 2014 – Ellen Baumler Humanities Speaker – Haunted Montana
- Staff Job Descriptions – The MPEA (union) requires approval of job descriptions for City Employees. KellyAnne has turned the position of Preservation Officer over to the union for approval. This is a part time position that focuses on local history and historical documents and photographs. Dan Bell has moved from a Library Assistant II to a Library Assistant III and has taken on the role of reference librarian.
- County Budget Allocation – KellyAnne will be working to put together a formal request from the County. No date has been set by the County for discussion and action on the budget request.
- Cathy discussed moving Andrew Carnegie portrait to the upstairs meeting room. KellyAnne will pursue this.
- Cathy reported that the Montana Magazine of Western History has accepted her article on early horse racing in Montana (late 19th century) for publication in the Fall Issue.
- Mary Frieze expressed kudos for the Library but said there were some broken links. KellyAnne will look into this.
- Tom Wojtowick said the existing window blinds in the Upstairs Meeting Room should be retained, if new windows are installed, until new blinds can be purchased.
3:30 PM Meeting adjourned.
NEXT REGULAR BOARD MEETING: Thursday, August 14, 2014 at 2:00 p.m. in the Upstairs Meeting Room. Respectively Submitted: KellyAnne Terry, Director